Love Still Lingers

Wenrene Seekers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Wendy's back."

Irene froze for a second before she acted like she heard nothing. I won't really pass for an acting audition. I'm at it. She continues wiping the table because in any minute, the burger restaurant she has been working at will open. She tries her best to ignore her manager's words and slash the owner, too but she failed to do so.

"I'm telling you to know your place."

Irene can feel the emphasis in every word she says. She knows the deeper meaning behind it. She just quietly let out a sigh to control herself. Without looking, she heard the steps of the heels away from the area. For sure she rolled her eyes again at Irene, just like the usual. She felt Seulgi's presence on her side, slightly nudging her arm.

"What's with her? Ma'am Joy is always putting her anger in you everytime. Doesn't it bother you? And who's Wendy?" Seulgi whispered in her ear. Irene is making sure that every table is wiped clean.

"Seul, let's get back to work."

Irene just left a confused Seulgi hanging while she changed the door's sign Close to Open. There were already lines outside so she greeted the first customer with a big smile, like she doesn't have a problem right now.

Just like what she always does everyday since then, Irene just let the day pass by. After a long day, she finally put up the close sign and they are always the one who closes the restaurant. Irene is walking together with Seulgi in the street, the way to her small apartment. Mulching a piece of bread, Seulgi dares to ask a question.

"Yah, unnie, who's Wendy? I know you always have that face but when that y Joy mentioned her name, you look gloomier."

Irene just smiled and shook her head. She may act like she is tough but she is transparent when it comes to her friend. Seulgi raised her eyebrow and she still looked cute even when angry.

"Yah! Unnie!" Seulgi stomped her feet when she didn't get a response from her.

"Text me when you get home."

Irene just waved her goodbye when they finally reached her small apartment. They will arrive at her apartment first while Seulgi lives on the next street. Exhausted, Irene immediately changed into proper clothes to sleep with. She lay in her bed and though it's been years she grabbed Manen again. Her stuffed toy. It's a bit worn out now but for her it's still the warmest ever.

"Yah! Where are we going? H-hey, keep holding me. Don't let go!" Irene told Wendy. The girl is holding her when she whispers in her ears.

"Of course I won't let go."

Irene tightened her grip with Wendy's hand. She's currently leading her somewhere and she has no idea where they are going because she is wearing a blindfold. Wendy suddenly invited her somewhere when they were about to go out to eat. She felt that they were in a closed area and she just heard a small ring sound which is familiar to her.

"Are we inside the elevator?"

"Yup. Stay still."

Without breaking her hold to Wendy, Irene linked her arm on hers, gently wrapping her with warmth. For a second time, Irene heard a ring sound. It sounds like the elevator finally opens and again, Wendy gently pulls her, guiding her the way.

"H-hey."

Irene uttered because she is a bit conscious of where her feet are leading to.

"Hush, it's okay. We're here." Wendy assured her, pressing her hand lightly.

Irene felt a gentle breeze, a cold one but still manageable in her face. Wendy let go of her hand. She is alarmed and immediately finds Wendy in the air.

"W-wendy."

"It's okay, I'm here."

She felt her arm slowly wrapped around her shoulders and neck, she's at her back. She leaned on her a bit as she felt relief. She whispered in her right ear.

"I love you."

Then Wendy slowly removed her blindfold. Her eyes are still adjusting so it's a bit blurry at first and as everything became clear, her eyes widened. They were at the rooftop of a building where she saw a table that had been set up in the middle with lights at the side. There's also candles and wine glasses. She can clearly see the city lights and hear the noise of the traffic but it's manageable.

Irene turned around and saw Wendy smiling at her. She fixed her hair as it flowed with the wind, too. Irene gently grabs some of it and Wendy smiles more. She feels so pretty while Wendy is gazing at her like that.

"Happy 1000th day, my love."

As Wendy told her that, she is staring right into her eyes, kissing softly her hand. Irene felt like they were alone , slowly drowning in their fantasies with just a rainbow and butterflies in their own world.

Leaning forward, Irene held her partner's neck with her right hand, gazing to her eyes, then her nose, teasing Wendy by tilting her head backward.

"Yah." Wendy whispered.

"I love you so much Wendy. You mean more to me every single day that we're together." She parted her lips, closing the space between them and gave her a deep kiss.

Why?

Five years have passed, but it doesn't sink in Irene's mind even the tiniest bit. Why can't I move on? She thought time heals all the wounds. It just covers everything and lives with the pain. She thought that she is already okay but Irene is fooling herself if she tells that she hasn't thought of Wendy even for a day. It doesn't get easier. She hugged Manen even more. Her poor Manen is now drenched because of her foolish tears coming out of her eyes.

"I can't believe we will reach this day."

Irene can't help but to blurt it. Wendy gave her a distinct look which she just shrugged off.

"Why? You don't think we'll be together for long?" Then she pouted. She's really cute!

"Of course not. I mean, it just happened so fast. Bumping you while I'm picking my flyers is just like yesterday." She said while reminiscing.

Wendy giggles while holding her hand. "Yeah, that flyer literally flies. I'm glad I picked it up."

Since high school, Irene already has a lot of jobs and as a person who didn't get a chance to go to college, she is giving flyers in her part time job and that's how she met Wendy. It feels like destiny, they both have the same situation in life. Doing a lot of jobs to earn money for living, so that's what Irene thought.

"Ahm, Irene, I have a gift." Then Wendy placed a big paper bag on the table. "It's not that much but I got it by playing with a toy catcher."

Irene smiled and opened the paper bag and it revealed a medium-sized chipmunk stuffed toy.

"It looks like you." She commented and then she chuckled.

"Really? I named it Manen. I guess it's cute if it looks like me then."

Irene shook her head. "You're cuter." Then she holds her hand.

Irene is very much happy that night. With Wendy she forgot to be lonely again. She forgot how the world is always against her. Irene is much content with just the simple things as long as Wendy is with her.

Irene is happily walking to Wendy's apartment to give her their anniversary gift. She wants to surprise her girlfriend. Irene felt a little bit of guilt knowing her gift was a day late because she just got her pay. She knows that Wendy doesn't mind a single bit. Before she reached the door in her apartment, she heard some noise.

"You're crazy! What do you think you're doing? And why the hell are you living in such a small and dirty environment?!"

"Can you please stop?! I don't care anymore. Can't you see that I'm living peacefully here and I don't need you and your damn money!"

Irene is worried when she hears the loud voice of Wendy and a loud slap. It became quiet for a while but she heard again the voice of an unfamiliar woman.

"As if you can live without money, Wendy. You need to go home. You'll be marrying Joy Park whether you like it or not."

Then the door opens and reveals a woman with an intimidating look and her leather bag and office suit screams nothing but wealth and luxury. She's also wearing gold earrings and a necklace. Irene lowered her head and tried not to look into her eyes.

"Know your place, peasant." Her ears ring when Irene hears it. She knows exactly who she's referring to. She just heard the sound of stiletto fading away and she finally got her courage to look for Wendy as the door was left open. She found Wendy looking at her.

"I'm so sorry about that."

Wendy's eyes look so sad. Irene just nodded and held her hand.

"You don't have to. Who's that by the way? What would people like her be doing here?"

Irene already has an idea but she doesn't want to agree with what her mind is thinking, She can't accept it. It's kinda impossible, that's what she thought or that's what her mind wanted to think.

"Don't mind her. She's nothing. Ahm, by the way, what brings you here? Have you eaten? You miss me that much?" Wendy told her while her fuzzy eyebrows were wiggling.

Her chest becomes light for a moment when she sees her smile. Irene lifts the paper bag she is holding.

"I have tteokbokki here. I want to share it with you."

"Oh, cool. I'm craving it."

Irene prepares the tteokbokki then they eat and just act like nothing happened earlier. After eating, she brought out the gift for Wendy inside her bag.

She extended her arm, with the gift in her hand. "Here."

Wendy looked at the box with a blue ribbon on the top.

"What's this?" She took it from her.

"It's my gift. It's for our celebration yesterday."

"Oh, you don't have to." Wendy smiled and gave her a peck in the lips then she happily opened it. "Music box?"

"Ah, yeah. I don't know what's the right thing to give you so if you don't like it..."

Wendy gave her a peck on her lips again and pinched her cheeks.

"Silly. I love it."

Then she turns the key and the music box starts playing Milky Way by BoA. She's smiling the whole time and Irene felt so happy with that. Or so she thought.

"Unnie!" Irene makes a face after Seulgi slaps her back. She felt a tingling pain lining in her behind.

"Yah! How dare you?" She is patting her back that her friend just slapped. Seulgi just stuck her tongue. She linked her arm to hers and they walked to work after Seulgi fetched her.

"Because you are spacing out. Luckily I'm here or else you'll bump with just anyone or anything."

She rolled her eyes. "Ah, whatever. You didn't need to slap me."

"Oh, that's a good wake up for you."

At least Seulgi tries everyday to cheer her up and it makes her happy at least.

"Aish!"

Irene flinched when Seulgi hissed at her side.

"What is it?"

Irene looks at Seulgi that is currently reading something on her phone.

"Look. Yeri wears my clothes again without telling me."

Seulgi showed her phone and she saw Yeri's Instagram story. She nodded. "She's better at wearing it."

"Unnie!"

Irene laughed at Seulgi's reaction and she bumped as she didn't notice the person in front her. "Oopss, sorry-" Her body felt numb and her soul partially left it.

Why? Why does it have to be now?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter