One

querencia

As the sky turned a mild shade of crimson and the day took refuge behind the tall silvery buildings of the city, a lone figure walked down the busy streets and into the garage of a small, one-storied house. With his heart wounded and torn, he was now only as rooted to the ground as the shabby house.

The streaks of black scratched across the canvas of colours that were a representation of his life were more prominent than the mashed clusters of sky blue paint or the bursts of rosy pink. His once beautiful life is now scarred. And above all, incomplete.

"What should i do..." He mumbled, sighing in despair.

Kang Jihyun. No other name resonated in his mind as mellifluously as hers. She made him smile in the most beautiful way, listened to his heartbeats like they were her own. Kang Jihyun made him feel elated, special, and needed. She made him want to love her and protect her. She stood before him as an epitome of perfection. In the past few months alone, she became the air he breathed.

But all of it came with a cost.

He deceived himself. He wronged. He engrossed himself in this idea of love and bliss so deeply, that he forgot for a while where it was that he belonged to. He belonged to them. To her.

Their conversation from earlier that evening came floating back to him.


"You're overdoing it," Sunggyu said, snaking his arms around Bora's perfectly curved waist and staring into her eyes. She stared back, with a certain dark feeling instilled in her eyes.

"Me? I'm not," She whispered. She rested her hands on his momentarily, before brushing them off and walking away.

"Don't blame her when you're at fault, Sunggyu," Hoya murmured, his lips damp in red wine. "You left us. First."

"You, too?" Sunggyu chuckled, raking his slender fingers through his hair in suppressed frustration. "I think i overestimated your maturity."

Hoya looked up.

The two men stared right at each other for a good minute before Hoya broke into a lop-sided smile and looked away. The frost in the air galloped Sunggyu completely, warning him about the absurdity of the situation.

"Bora, Hoya..." Sunggyu pleaded, which slowly brew into an outburst. "Don't be like this. I'm not at fault for goodness' sake! I love her! What can i do about it?"

"Nothing," She cooed.

"What do you want then? Why are you two being so difficult? I admit i was reckless. I shouldn't have cancelled our plans, forgotten Hoya's birthday, and literally shut you guys out... but i didn't mean it. I admit it so what more should i do?"

"Nothing," She parroted and the tipsy man chortled sarcastically.

He approached her in haste and knelt so that he could look into her empty eyes, "What should i do? How can i make things right again? Tell me, tell me so i can do it. Who should i go if you turn your backs on me?"

She smiled briskly, his cheeks gently.

"Nothing. The time for that has left."

"I never stood a chance, did i?"

"That's the sad part. You did once."

And the hands on his cheeks drifted away.